Monday, January 4, 2010

Farm News Oct 20th, 2009

INTRODUCTION:
This Newsletter has its origins in the CSA Newsletter from the Summer of 2009. If you would like to review past copies you can find it on my Facebook at the web site rockyridgeranchspokane.com
. Many of our CSA Members asked me to continue the Newsletter. It's an informal dialogue of farm life, farm production information, and a farmers perspective on past and present events impacting daily events and life on the farm.

CSA NEWS:
Please return your coolers and any plastic boxes to the Farmer's Markets or when you pick up your turkey which we plan to deliver on Nov 19th. We will advise further as time approaches and hope you all can continue to visit us at the Winter Markets or make a trip to the farm. Mid day Saturdays are usually best times to visit.

Farm Products Available:
"SO" will have the following to Market at Millwood on Wed, 12-5 PM and S. Hill , 3-7 PM this week. Beets, Carrots, Potatoes, Fresh Eggs, Salad Mix, Swiss Chard, Winter Squash, Fresh Frozen Chicken, Grass fed Angus Beef and Free Range Berkshire Pork.

CSA Members please remember that although your deliveries are finished for the year your membership still entitles you to 10% discount off your purchases. We also have wholesale Beef and Pork available for order for your freezer. Some turkeys are still available as well.

Farm News:
Our two Grand Daughters were able to visit a couple days this last weekend. Ages 9 and 10. They were at the Farmer's Market awhile on Thursday. It was a little scary to them as they didn't arrive utill after dark. It seems their Dad told them about learning to drive when he was little on the county dirt road that leads about 5 miles to our farm. They wouldn't give up nagging me till I let them try to drive home like their Dad did when he was little. So if your are ever driving on Oehlschlaeger Road that dead ends at our farm, watch out for novice driving Lessons. Its surely not legal but its how I learned to drive as well as my three sons and two Grandsons. How do you think farm kids learn to drive well enough to operate a tractor at 10 to 12 years old?

One of my new breeding Heifers had perfect timing and had her first calf the night before, so the girls had quite an experience fussing over the little new born that was also a heifer. We expect 8 - 10 more very soon. They also had fun with the baby chicks and the 3 week old piglets. And of course they had to ride a horse. Wish we would have had more time with them!

I sent in my paperwork to be a Certified American Berkshire Breeder. I'll be the only one in the Northwest. These heritage pigs have a more detailed pedigree and birth registration than most people. They even require DNA blood samples. It goes back to the mid 1800's. My first two registered Sows have been great Mothers. I'm sure you've all heard about my pet Boar named "Resurrection" or "REX" for short. Might be because my genetics were saved from hogs that lived back in the 1950's, that escaped industrialization.

Had to send off three old cows who have served the farm well. Due to the realities of the economy I cant afford to carry them through retirement as I have always done in the past. I should ship more of them but after several weeks of pondering I just can't let any more go. I'm still not sure how I'm going to find the resources to feed them all. Field crop production this Summer was the worst I have seen for nearly 20 years. So hay is a financial problem for many this year. We have beautiful yearling calves this year which I attribute to my new young bull, "Big Chunk"! He's the kind of bull I've always dreamed of having for this farm. I carry a photo of him in my bill fold. Many of you have seen him on our market posters.

Tractor repair still in progress. Delayed by the clutch bell housing cracking when we re-tightened it during final assembly. What a disappointment. Well since a new one would cost more than the tractor is worth we decided to get it welded. We'll be holding our breath worrying about that weld holding for a long time! Meanwhile I'll be looking for another tractor the same model to rob the clutch assembly off of it.

All farmers have to talk about the weather. After a frigid week we've had several real nice heavy rains. The dust is all settled and the cattle are back out on pasture slurping up grass seed and forage grain seed sprouts. Animal aromas are strong in the air but at least the source stays put instead of blowing in the wind. The flies and yellow jackets are gone but the blue aphids have arrived. I love the crisp bright early mornings and the fresh smells which I enjoy, with my coffee cup in hand, as I cruise the pasture checking the cows and their pregnancy progress. More piglets next month too. I'll keep you all posted.

Have a Good Week! Gary and So

No comments: