Monday, January 4, 2010

Farm News - Christmas

Wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!! Your support of the farm this year was a real Blessing both financially as well as spirit lifting with the praise and encouragement so many of you offered through the year. For many years my contracting business has subsidized the farm's cash flow needs. This year, for the first time, things were reversed and the farm took over the lead. We owe thanks to many of you for this! Maybe after this year I can finally retire and become a full time farmer.

A little Farmer Philosophy:

Most of us have been affected by the financial problems of the country and I know it has been real tough on many folks. Even if we've escaped the worst its hard to not be concerned about others and wonder if we're next. As an unwise old man I still have some words of wisdom so I'd like to say; if we didn't have it so good for so long we wouldn't know that things are bad now.

I think back to when my parents worked as migrant farm workers and drug me and my brother around from place to place. Actually we didn't know we were in tough times and just enjoyed all the different places and homeless camp outs and wild harvest treks as great adventures. The hardest part was whenever we had to go to a new school, at least two or three times a year. We always had to deal with the school bully and his pals. My Brother and I learned if we joined up as one to appose them with a rowdy counter attack it was a little easier to get them to avoid us. I guess they still have serious bully problems in schools today motivated by new social problems. When I was a kid it was just because you wore glasses or your name was weird like "Angell" or you were a new kid.

We also found out that whenever we were really in trouble and down and out someone or several folks always stepped up to help us out, wherever we went and my folks were the same to others. Maybe if things get real tough with the economy more folks will join up together to help each other out instead of relying on the government, the banks and the insurance companies. When we finally settled down on a ranch in Montana for a few seasons it was great. The local one room school house only had three kids including us so there wasn't a bully issue. Just a spoiled boss's son to deal with. I heard later that the local ranch community kept my folks on through the Winter so the school wouldn't close. The next two years there were about a dozen kids; one for each grade. The very same school house is on display as a museum today in Deer Lodge, MT.

I guess I'm trying to say we should always remember to be thankful for our Blessings. The greatest being the reason for this season, Our Lord's arrival!

CSA and Farmer's Market News:

We'll be at Millwood next Wed. 2-6pm. The word is that a new location for the Farmer's Market at Perry Street is being worked out with promising progress. After New Year's both the Winter Markets will resume the normal schedule. First week after New Years I'll be processing Berkshire Pigs and soon after we'll have retail cuts of pork at the Markets again.

Farm News:

Had a Christmas calf born this morning. Can't tell you if its a girl or boy cause when I tried to look the Momma came after me and actually butted me in the top of my head when I was bending over to take a look. Good thing a have a hard head! Actually I think she was taking it easy on me and just trying to warn me away. This a good sign showing that the Mother worries about her new baby and will defend it. All the movies and cartoons always show a Bull as the danger one in pastures to watch out for. This is actually a myth as most Bulls are very docile. The real danger is range cows with new calves especially and even older calves if your a stranger. Once I had a cow lift up my whole body with her head and toss me about 20-30 feet. Then she proceeded to pounce up and down on me with her front hooves. If my dog didn't jump in after her I probably wouldn't be here today. Good thing I have a cushion around my belly.

All the new piglets doing fine. Had a chance to catch up on mixing feed last week during the warmer weather. All the snow melted and formed ponds in the holes the pigs dug. Haven't seen any of them wallowing. Must be still to cold but it hasn't stopped them from going back to their "Turn Over Every Rock" they can find game. I'm letting some of the little ones venture outside now. Even though they have short thin hair they handle the cold real well. Its because they have a layer of fat at least an inch thick and the little guys have a warm up station that serves hot milk. The older feeder pigs all join up in the larger huts and keep each other warm in a big pile. Some how the smaller ones learn to avoid getting squashed. They can't do this very well in an industrial hog house cause their kept on concrete floors in small group pens. Right now we have 34 feeder pigs and 33 piglets. The late Gilt that my wife talked me into keeping is finally starting to show early pregnancy signs so their may be hope for her yet.

OTHER NEWS:

We were invited by the Wild Sage Restaurant (located on corner of Lincoln and 2d downtown)for a Christmas breakfast. They hosted the Red Cross and all the funds donated for the food went to them. Mark Peterson of KXLY was there doing interviews and weather news. He spotted my wife and focused in on her. It was because "SO" was wearing bright Christmas colors. So she was a TV star for awhile! Maybe some of you saw her.

Wishing You Joy and Happiness for the Holidays,

Gary

No comments: