Monday, January 4, 2010

Farm News Dec 16th, 2009

Introduction:
Well a white Christmas came a little early so I guess we better enjoy it. It could be all melted by the 25th. Heard snow blowers and snow mobiles engine noise echoing in the wind all day yesterday.

CSA News:
Received the first membership Form last Friday with an advance for the whole year. Nice Christmas present to us.

Still working on a Meat CSA Proposal. Working out a plan that is legal with the government is difficult. So far it seems that a Meat CSA Share will have to include the minimum of a 1/4 Beef and 1/2 Hog with at least 20 Chickens and a turkey. If someone is also a Produce Member they would get a second turkey; one from each CSA program. Doing it this way, the meat could be processed locally under WA State Custom Processor rules.

I would store the meat and distribute it over 5 Summer months. If someone wants meat over the Winter as well I would recommend a pre-order for custom locker meat. Joint 1/2 share memberships would reduce the cost for individuals. This plan would provide about 250-300 lbs total or 50-60 lbs a month of meat for $1,250 payable at $200/mo with an initial non refundable membership deposit of $250.

This plan would allow folks with a limited freezer space to enjoy fresh local healthy meat at a reasonable price. I will need a minimum of 8 membership shares to make this plan feasible. Please let me know your interest. More details such as an example of what you get in a Monthly delivery is still to come.

Other Farm News:
Started out Monday to get a 5 ton load of feed grain to mix for for the pigs before the weather gets below freezing again. My Mixer-Grinder doesn't do to well when it's frozen. Didn't count on how slippery the melting snow was at the surface. "SO" decided she had cabin fever and wanted to come with me along with the three house dogs. Slowed to go around a corner on the gravel road about 5 mi.'s from the farm. Before I knew what happened the grain trailer slid off the road over the side onto the edge of a large ditch with about a 10 foot drop off and drug the back end of the truck off the side to the edge with it. The ditch had about a 10 foot drop. After spending about an hour trying to disconnect the trailer with out success. I was dreading the reaction I would get when I had to tell my wife we'd have to walk home in the snow.

As I looked up towards her in the truck I saw all three dogs watching me through the back window with what I would have to call a scornful hurry up look. Then a minor miracle happened! A county snow plow hooked up on the front of a giant road grader showed up and stopped in front of me. The driver jumped out and hooked up a tow cable as big around as my arm and pulled us out truck and trailer in one move. I've lived out here since 1983 and had many perils from the snow over the years and I have to tell you I've never had any complaints with our county road department. We're taken care of far better than what I've seen for city folks in Spokane. I now had earned a little wisdom or common sense and decided to go home and try again another day! Thank you Lord and the snow plow driver "Mick". I've been told God looks out for orphans and idiots. I think that includes me on Monday! And quite a few other times in the past too!

All the new piglets are doing fine. No new calves in the deep freeze. However; I went out to feed the cows this morning, in a hurry just before leaving for the Market at Millwood. I left the gate open to the pasture and raced off with the tractor to get the first bale of hay. When I turned around and looked back I was faced by a long row of cows walking through the gate down the drive way past the house in my direction. Well guess who was leading them? I think some of you will remember the pet heifer , "Curly", that my wife raised from a baby last Summer; who grew up in the front lawn.

She has no natural fear of me, the dogs or the area around the house. Yep. She was their leader. As I drove through them to the pasture most turned and followed but when I went back Curly and some of her yearling buddies were enjoying themselves munching on things in the garden and here and there around the house. One seemed to like munching up a bowl of dog food. Guess I can't claim she is totally grass fed anymore. Well, I led Curly back through the gate and chased her a ways. Guess this was a signal to the dogs it was okay now to chase the rest of the calves and soon they came ripping past the house and green houses through the garden and back to the gate and into the pasture. Just another morning of farm antics. Its what keeps life on the farm exciting and interesting.

Hope you enjoyed the Ranch Ramblings for this week.

Gary

No comments: